Beginning on December 16th, Vollmecke Orchards & CSA will be starting our Winter Order Program, which runs December to May, on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month. This is an opportunity to continue eating fresh and local throughout the winter. We will have cool-season vegetables, root-storage crops, and a great selection of our Happy Hen eggs for sale, as well as other locally produced goods, such as honey, vegetables, grass-fed beef, wild caught salmon, and artisan bread and cheese.
Our Winter Order Program is different from our CSA in a few ways. The CSA model is built to support and sustain small local farms by having members pay a set price at the beginning of the season. This allows the farmer (us) to plan the varieties and amounts of produce needed to grow and then provides the member (you) a share of the harvest each week. The CSA program is the farm’s foundation providing stability and permitting us to grow produce for you throughout our main growing season.
Our Winter Order Program is an opportunity to continue to eat locally throughout the CSA off-season. Winter growing conditions can be very tricky, and it is much more difficult to plan for a consistent harvest. This is why we offer “à la carte” buying options throughout these months; it gives us more flexibility in case of crop difficulties (e.g., blizzards), but it gives you more flexibility with your ordering–there is no long-term commitment, and you can buy as little or as much as you like, as often as you like. We are happy that we are able to maintain the connection between the farm and your families throughout the colder months.
By participating in the Winter Order Program, you are able to purchase our products twice a month by placing pre-orders several days before the pick-up day. The ordering period will be from the time you receive your email on Monday to Wednesday at 12:00 pm, with pickup on the first and third Saturdays, from 10:30 am – 1:30 pm. Email us at email@example.com and ask to be placed on the winter order email list to receive bi-weekly updates on what is available.
How Does the Winter Order Program Work?
Step 1. Email us to be placed on the Winter Order Program email list. Twice a month (on the 1st and 3rd Mondays), you will receive an email from us with a list of what is available this week.
Step 2. Make your selection from the list of available produce and email us with your order.
Step 3. Make sure you get a confirmation email that the farm received your order!
Step 4. Come to the farm between 10:30 am and 1:30 pm on the designated Saturday to pick up and pay for your order. We will have your order pre-packaged and waiting for you. Additional items will be available for purchase at the time of pickup and can be added to your order with cash, check or credit card.
Step 5. If for any reason you are unable to pick up your order, email us ASAP to make other arrangements. By ordering from our Winter Order Program, you will be using your purchasing power to directly support local farms and become a part of a caring community that promotes family farming, sustainable living, environmental stewardship, good health, and most importantly, fresh, delicious food!
1. What is available this time of year?
Vollmecke Orchards & CSA
- Cool-season & root-storage crops
- Happy Hen eggs
- Fruit butters
- Apple sauces
- Peach pie filling
- Pasta sauce
- Applewood Firewood & smoking chips
- Dr. Elkins’ grass-fed beef
- Wild for Salmon products
- Brandywine Valley Bread Company products
- Walt’s Swarmbustin’ Honey
- Winter Squash (Acorn, Butternut, Buttercup, Spaghetti , nd Kobacha)
- Cabbage (Green, Red, Chinese)
- Asian Greens
- Bok Choy
2. When do I place my order? You will receive an email by 12 Noon the Monday before the designated pick-up Saturday. You will have until noon on Wednesday to place your online order.
3. Do I have to come to the farm to pick up my order? Yes. If you have a group of friends that would like to participate, you can form your own group to take turns with the pickups. Just let us know, and we will be sure to pack the orders individually.
4. Do I have to be a CSA member to participate in the Winter Order Program? No. You can request to be on our email list for the Winter Order Program by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive bi-weekly email updates, after which you will be able to order, and then pick up your order at the farm.
5. If I place my order online, can I still buy additional items when I come to the farm? Yes.
6. Do I have to come to every pickup? No. You may start the Winter Order Program at any time, and participate only in the weeks that fit your schedule.